Lehi Match Up Historic Sites and Tradition of Lehi
November 17, 2023
The following historic sites and traditions are found in the Lehi Historical Society’s game Lehi Match Up. Sites and traditions are listed in alphabetical order along with addresses. This is a living document. Check back for more information and photographs. We thank you for supporting us and hope you enjoy getting to know Lehi better!
3900 Adobe Way
Curfew Bell at the Lehi Fire Department
176 N. Center St.
150 E. State St.
In 1900, Thomas R. Cutler, general manager of the Lehi Factory of the Utah& Idaho Sugar Company and owner of the People’s Co-op, began construction of this $14,000 home on State Street. Cutler was one of the most prominent men in early Lehi’s history and was Lehi’s wealthiest citizen of the time. The home is a near duplicate of the Jesse Knight Mansion in Provo. Both were designed by architects Ware and Treganze. The “Cutler Mansion,” as Lehi people have called the Colonial Revival box-style home, was the “finest resident south of Salt Lake,” according to the Jan. 17, 1901, Lehi Banner.
The home was briefly the Reltuc Inn (Cutler spelled backwards) and the Lehi Hospital under the proprietorship of Dr. Fred Worlton. Today, the stately mansion, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Dry Creek Park
100 West 1500 North
Frontrunner at Lehi Rodeo Grounds
100 North 500 West
Old modes of transportation mix with new as FrontRunner passes horses in pins at the Rodeo Grounds. Utah’s commuter rail train reached Lehi on Dec. 10, 2012, when the FrontRunner South line opened. The Rodeo Grounds sit on the original Evansville settlement (Lehi’s name before it became Lehi in 1852). In 1900, the city turned the property into City Park complete with a baseball diamond, grandstand, bicycle track, fence and dance floor. When Wine’s Park became a more desirable place to gather, City Park became the Lehi Rodeo Grounds in 1933. The site was furnished with a grandstand, chutes and bleachers from the Israel Evans Ranch.
55 N. Center
The Hutchings Museum building, also known as Lehi’s Veterans Memorial Building, is one of Lehi’s greatest historic buildings and was the first municipal building constructed in the United States to honor veterans of World War I.
According to the building’s National Register of Historic Places marker, the idea for the building was first raised on Nov. 11, 1918, two weeks after Armistice Day. The building was designed to have three sections—the front to house a memorial hall, the south a city hall and the north a Carnegie Library. While the library was dedicated in 1921, the rest of the $55,000 building was not dedicated until Memorial Day, May 31, 1928.
“Since then, the building has hosted numerous city, community and religious functions,” reads the building’s marker, “including the W.P.A., Alpine School District, the Lehi Second Ward [of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints], the Lehi 5th Ward, American Red Cross, Alpine Soil Conservation District, the Ground Observation Corps, the National Rifle Association, the Lehi Junior Wildlife Association, the National Guard, the Lehi Senior Citizen Center and Lehi American Legion Post 9. The municipal part of the building has housed City Hall, two jails, a fire station, the Lehi Ambulance Association and the Lehi Police Department.”
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Jordan River Bridge
9600 North 7700 West
The first Jordan River Bridge was constructed in 1853 and had a toll. It remained in service until 1871, when the county built a new wooden bridge. When the bridge dropped a wagon team into the Jordan River in 1907, a 90-foot steel bridge, which remains today, was built by the Chicago Bridge Company and was used until 1947. The obsolete 1907 bridge remained in place until 1985 when it was dismantled in preparation for the Army Corps of Engineers’ river dredging project.
Keeley’s Ice Cream
164 West Main (was covered by a new building in 2023
123 N. Center St.
The Legacy Center, Lehi’s community recreation center, opened in 2001 with three gyms, an indoor track, aerobics room, weight and exercise equipment, concessions, Senior Center and the like. It’s been extremely popular ever since. Many years before the Legacy Center, the Primary and Grammar Schools served the children of Lehi from this same location. The large eight-classroom Primary School, fronting to the east on Center Street was dedicated on Jan. 27, 1906. During the summer of 1910, the Lehi School District erected another elementary school building on the northwest quadrant of the block just northwest of the Primary School. In 1879, this area had been the city pound where stray animals were corralled until owners either paid appropriate fines or the strays were sold for damages.
In 1893, the pound was moved and a city jail was constructed on the site. In 1909, the jail was demolished and the eight-room Grammar School, which faced north on 200 North was constructed. Despite the additional 16 classrooms made available by the Primary and Grammar school buildings, 40 fifth graders of the 765 students who showed up for school the first day in 1910 had to be sent home due to lack of space. Officials quickly fitted up a fifth-grade classroom in the Utah Bank building (later the Lehi Hospital).
Lehi City Cemetery
1100 North 400 East
Lehi City Flags
153 North 100 East
Lehi Heritage Day
123 North Center Street
Lehi High School
180 North 500 East
Lehi Round-Up Rodeo
105 North 500 West
Lehi Round-Up Signature Logo
Roundabout at 500 West and Main Street
Since as early as 1938 and for many years since, variations of a cowboy have been Lehi’s signature image with it featured on Lehi welcome signs and the like. In 1979, Stanford Russon was commissioned to create the logo still used today by the Lehi Round-Up Rodeo, which has been running since 1937. On June 17, 2006, Tony R. Chytka’s bronze statue of the cowboy on his bucking bronc, or the Lehi Round-Up Signature Logo, was dedicated at the Fifth West Roundabout. The dedication program reads, “… that logo continues and we have a bronze statue to remind us of those pioneers who established our community with memorable and dedicated effort, along with our annual citywide celebration with a week full of activities including the rodeo for citizens of Lehi, friends and neighbors.”
Lehi Silver Bandwagon
900 North 300 West
Lehi residents George Hyrum Goates and Guy Whipple built the first band wagon from lumber obtained from the San Pedro-Los Angeles Railroad. Lehi artist Edwin Evans painted nude mermaids much to the dismay of some members of the community.
151 East State
Parker Brown Real Estate
187 West Main Street
24 West Main Street (no longer there)
Photo courtesy of Johnny Revill.
Skyridge High School
Lehi Bakery at 164 W. Main
Lehi’s famous square donut comes from the Lehi Bakery, which was opened by Arden and Cheryle Tuckett in 1968. Patrons come from far and wide to partake of the superior donut. The business stayed within the Tuckett family until 2019 when it was sold to David and Danielle Doty, who are carrying on the tradition. The old Lehi Bakery building was torn down in 2023. The former building was built in 1929 by Swedish immigrant Carl J. E. Hertell and his wife Amelia Comer. Both were deaf. They operated several shoe repair shops and ice cream parlors in Lehi until 1930, when Amelia died.
After a variety of owners, local plumber Leo J. Ball bought the place in 1947. Lehi’s marshal at the time described Leo’s Place, a beer joint, as “a constant scheme of rowdyism and yes, please gabrawls.” After numerous complaints, police officers raided the joint in 1953 and discovered a host of liquor violations, including glasses of whiskey on the bar, liquor bottles in a trash can, a half empty whiskey bottle on the premises and patrons consuming whiskey and mixed drinks.
Following the raid, the city evoked Leo’s business license but lost the court case against the joint’s manager. The liquid evidence in the glasses had evaporated, and the city failed to prove intent, or that the defendant knew that liquor was being consumed in Leo’s Place. Ball sold the controversial property in 1955, and a new beer joint parlor opened. A plethora of alcohol bottles were found behind the building when it was torn down in 2023. Some of the bottles can be viewed at the Lehi Historical Society.
3003 Thanksgiving Way
Third Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
500 West 1200 North
The Old Third Ward building is a testament of the go-to spirit of the early settlers of Lehi. When LDS Church members who lived in the northern most part of Lehi decided it was too far to travel to the Lehi Ward building at 100 S. 200 West, they raised the money for their own building. Lovingly referred to as the Old Third Ward building today, it was the North Branch meetinghouse. Located at 500 W. 1200 N., it cost $1,656 to build. The structure was sold for residential use in 1955 when the LDS Church building at 1149 N. 300 West was completed.
500-600 North Center
A local literary group, the Athenian Club, erected the rock masonry drinking fountain at Wine’s Park in 1936 to provide cool refreshment at the popular site. On Jan. 7, 1908, Margaret Taylor Wines died in Palo Alto, Calif. Her husband, prominent businessman Ira D. Wines, who had earlier achieved fame as a Pony Express rider and Overland Stage driver, desired to build a lasting memorial in honor of his wife. In April of 1908, Wines met with the Lehi City Council and offered to donate an entire block of his property to the community provided it become Margaret Wines Park, and that it be landscaped and well maintained. City officials accepted Wines offer and began in earnest to meet his expectations.
In its earliest years, a bandstand was erected. Many pleasant summer concerts were conducted under the stars. To the delight of Lehi children, the city and other local organizations combined to develop a playground in the northeast corner of the park during the late 1930s. In the spring of 1950, the Lehi Garden Club planted a Centennial Rose Garden, which included 458 plants. In 1959, the Lehi Jaycees constructed a large concrete platform which could accommodate six picnic tables in the southeast corner of the park. Beginning in 1958, a community carnival was held annually in the park. Today, Wine’s Park is a traditional part of the Lehi Round-Up weekend with every parade beginning there.
From the very beginning, Wines Park captured the fancy of almost everyone. Its location is convenient, its facilities functional and its verdant lawns and abundant shade trees a welcome respite from sweltering, summer days. Thousands of memorable reunions and picnics have been held here.